The Writing Center
Welcome to the MCC Writing Center
The Writing Center is sponsored by the Humanities Division and provides one-on-one assistance to students, faculty and MCC staff with any writing
project, from understanding assignments and gathering information, to developing ideas
and tightening documents. We believe that writing is a social process, and the Writing
Center serves as a place and catalyst to enable that process.
How do I begin?
- Appointments for consultation services can be made by phone, or in person; consultation
sessions generally last thirty minutes.
- Please make sure your appointment is at least one full day from the assignment's due
date, to give you ample time to revise your work.
- Bring your assignment sheet, any notes you have taken, and any writing that you have
started on the assignment.
- Students only using computer or resource services don't need to make an appointment;
these services are first-come; first-serve.
Who provides writing assistance?
- MCC Instructors
- Peer tutors - MCC students
What resources are available?
- 17 student computer workstations with Internet access and Microsoft Office products,
including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- 3 central work tables for consultations and group writing.
- 2 semi-private work desks for confidential writing.
- A lounge area for studying or reading.
- A conference area for semi-private consultations and group work. (Note: Groups can
be displaced from the conference area should it be needed for a consultation session.)
- A collection of dictionaries and handbooks, including the most recent MLA and APA
guides, and the Oxford English Dictionary.
- See also the Handouts and Web References sections.