Requirements to complete the Certificate of Achievement in Dental Assisting are:
All of the following must be met in order to become eligible:
1. Be admitted to MCC and declare intent to enter the Dental Assisting Program.
2. Demonstrate College level reading comprehension on the ACCUPLACER placement test within the last 5 years, OR a minimum score of 20 on the reading portion of the ACT within the last 5 years. A satisfactory grade in RDNG 030 or ENGL 100 within the last 5 years will also meet this requirement.
3. Provide proof of high school graduation or GED.
4. Submit a current CPR card. The card must be either the BLS Health Care Provider (American Heart Association) or the Professional Rescuer (American Red Cross).
5. Maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 in eligibility requirement courses (see #6 for specific courses).
6. Complete ENGL 101 or 103 (English Composition), BIOL 150 (The Human Body) or BIOL 151 and BIOL 152 (Human Anatomy and Physiology), and COMM 131 (Fundamentals of Communication), with a "C" (2.0) grade or better.
7. Submit a Supplemental Application for the Dental Assisting Program after all of the Eligibility Requirements listed above have been completed.
Note: Conviction of a criminal offense may make graduates of the Dental Assisting Program ineligible to take their licensure (RDA) exam. All applicants for a health profession license or registration in Michigan are required to submit fingerprints and undergo a criminal background check. In addition, some clinical sites require students to complete criminal background checks and submit to drug screening procedures prior to the clinical experience. All background checks and drug screenings are at the student's expense.