The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678. The Commission's web address is www.ada.org/117.aspx
MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY/PROGRAM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:
Successful completion of the following requirements is required for eligibility. Eligible applicants must meet with the Dental Hygiene Program coordinator to have their name placed on the waiting list.
1. Be admitted to Mott Community College and declare intent to enter the dental hygiene program.
2. Demonstrate College level reading comprehension on the ACCUPLACER placement test within the last 5 years, OR a minimum score of 20 on the reading portion of the ACT within the last 5 years. A satisfactory grade in RDNG 030 or ENGL 100 within the last 5 years will also meet this requirement.
3. Submit verification of 8 hours of observation of a dental hygienist.
4. Provide high school transcript or G.E.D. and any related college transfer transcripts.
5. Complete 2 of the following four science courses: BIOL 151, BIOL 152, BIOL 156, and CHEM 112 with a 2.5 or better in the last five years. All four science classes must be completed prior to beginning the program.
6. Pre-program students must maintain a minimum overall college GPA of 2.8. In ENGL-101 and 102, COMM-131, PSYC-281, and SOCY-191, students must have a minimum of 2.0 in each course.
7. All transfer credits must be from an accredited institution.
8. Submit a Supplemental Application for Health Careers to Health Science when eligibility is complete.
9. Must have an acceptable criminal background check by July 1st, for the purpose of identifying any student who could not continue in the program due to a felony conviction (within the last 15 years) or misdemeanor conviction (within the last 1, 3, 5 or 10 years) in accordance with State statutes and laws. Students will be required to have an additional criminal background check at the time of application for licensure as required by the board of Dentistry. The cost of the criminal background check is the responsibility of the student.
10. Submit a current CPR card. The card must be either the BLS Health Care Provider (American Heart Association) or the Professional Rescuer (American Red Cross).