|Carpooling Tips †
† Source: http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9615_11228-31241--,00.html
- Car Pool Search Aid - How to search for an active car pool pdf
- Decide if you are going to drive alternate days, drive every day or ride every day.
- If it is not a shared driving arrangement, agree on a payment schedule.
- Set up a line of communication. If someone can't make it on a given day, let the driver
know in advance the day before. Don't forget to give notice of vacation, personal
or overtime plans.
- Establish a time schedule and pick-up points. BE PROMPT.
- Establish a rule for latecomers. Decide how long the carpool will wait for a passenger
(usually no more than 5 minutes).
- Avoid side trips on the way home.
- Keep the car clean, well maintained and filled with enough gas for each trip.
- Decide on radio use, smoking policies and other similar concerns before you start
carpooling. Are snacks or beverages allowed?
- Have a back-up plan for emergency situations, i.e. if your carpool driver must leave
early because of a family emergency or stay late for unexpected overtime. Contact
your Local Rideshare Office about the Guaranteed Ride Home program for registered
carpoolers. They will provide you with transportation options in these situations.
- Develop an environment that encourages open discussion of pool-related conflicts or
- Establish a chain of communications so adjustments can be made with a minimum of inconvenience;
for example, early departure due to bad weather.
- An agreement to pool isn't a binding contract. But if you find it isn't for you, give
your pooling partners a couple of weeks' notice so they can make alternate arrangements
or find a replacement.