Tutorial Services provide a variety of peer-based, cross-discipline programs that assist students to excel in knowledge, develop self-confidence and technical skills to achieve great academic success. In order to achieve this goal, we hire the best of the best students.
We recommend that Peer tutors maintain high academic standing at MCC and that student tutors earn a grade of A or B in the courses they tutor. Students must receive recommendations from Faculty in order to tutor any courses.
Mott Community College Peer Tutoring Program is certified through (CRLA) College Reading and Learning Association. All peer tutors are able to receive a certificate upon completion of mandatory training and tutoring hours.
Our peer tutors provide quality individual tutoring.
- One-on-one special attention tutoring.
- Tutoring sessions are by appointment.
- Each session is for the same time slot each week
- ALL SERVICES ARE FREE OF CHARGE
How do I become a tutor?
- Be enrolled MCC student
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 or above
- Demonstrate good interpersonal communication skills
- Receive a grade of B or better in the selected subjects taken at MCC (certain exceptions may be allowed on a person by person basis for transfer credits)
- Receive a recommendation from an Instructor who teaches the course desired to tutor.
- Availability to work in the evening and possibly on Saturdays
- Available to work around 10 hours per week
- Attend all scheduled tutoring hours
- Assist students in a drop-in and appointment-based environment( when needed or scheduled)
- Participate in periodic training (usually at the beginning of each semester)
- Attend mandatory meetings( throughout the semester)
- Additional administrative duties, including program development, lead workshops, marketing tutoring services etc.
- Paid professional opportunity to help other students succeed
- Build relationships with other Tutors and students at MCC
- Gain job experience with potential for leadership responsibilities
- Develop skills in being a facilitator of learning
- Great experience to discuss during interviews and to put on your resume
- Potential to earn a CRLA Level 1 Certificate as a Peer tutor
How to Request a Tutoring Appointment
Please read information on the tutoring process and print a copy for your records.
Print the Tutoring Services Request Form pdf
Let us know how we are doing! Give us your feedback and help us improve our services by completing our Tutoring Services Survey pdf