Mott Community College Active Shooter Reporting and Response:
If you witness an active shooter on campus, or a person with a weapon immediately
call the Mott Community College Department of Public Safety (810) 762-0222 or 911.
- Report the location of the active shooter or armed individual.
- Report the number of shooters or suspects.
- Report the physical description of the suspect(s).
- Report the type of weapons observed (handgun, rifle).
- Report the number of victims and their location(s).
When an Active Shooter is in the vicinity
- If there is an escape route, run/evacuate immediately.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Do not try to move wounded people.
- When possible prevent others from entering the area.
- If you cannot evacuate, find a place to hide out of the shooter’s view.
- Silence your cell phone.
- Turn off light and computers.
- Lock doors.
- When possible barricade the door with large furniture.
- Remain quiet.
- Dial 911 if possible to alert police to the shooter’s location.
- If you cannot speak, leave the line open and allow the dispatcher to listen.
- As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt
and/or incapacitate the shooter.
- Acting as aggressively as possible against him/her.
- Throwing items and improvising weapons.
- Committing to your actions.
Surviving an Active Shooter: What would you do? Visit Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department for additional Information
What to expect when Law Enforcement arrives:
- Officer usually arrive in teams.
- Officers may be wearing different color uniforms representing several police agencies.
- Officers will be armed with handguns, rifles, and shotguns.
- Officers may use pepper spray or tear gas to control the situation.
- Officers may shout commands and may push individuals to the ground for their safety.
How to react when Law Enforcement arrives:
- Please remain in your secure areas until police arrive.
- Remain calm and follow officer’s instructions.
- Put down any items in your hands (i.e., keys, cell phone).
- Immediately raise your hands and spread your fingers.
- Keep hands visible at all times.
- Avoid making quick movements toward officers.
MCC Intruder Lock Instruction VideoView the Instruction Video
Surviving an Active Shooter
Presentation to Faculty January 26, 2016