Immediately report any hazardous chemical spills to the Department of Public Safety at (810) 762-0222, or activate the nearest emergency call box.
- The Department of Public Safety dispatcher will contact:
- The on duty Department of Public Safety Supervisor.
- Facilities Services and the Genesee County Department of Emergency Management, if required.
- Flint Fire Department.
- Human Resources, Risk Management will be responsible for contacting Young’s Environmental.
- When reporting the existence of a chemical spill to the Department of Public Safety,
provide the following information:
- Your name and location.
- Name and/or description of material spilled, if known.
- Estimated amount.
- Exact location of spill.
- Possible injuries or exposures.
- Actions you have taken.
- Vacate the affected area at once. Seal off the affected area to prevent further contamination and to minimize the tracking of any spilled contaminants.
- Anyone who may be contaminated by the spill is to avoid contact with others and remain in the area of the incident.
- Immediately remove contaminated clothing and place in a red hazardous materials bag for clean up or disposal. Do not remove contaminated clothing from the spill site. Appropriate measures will be determined by Facilities Services.
- If the contaminate does not react or activate with water then wash down contaminated portions of the body for a minimum of 15 minutes at an emergency shower or eyewash station.
- The Chief/Executive Director of Public Safety or designee will assess the circumstances and determine whether a full evacuation of the building is required. If an evacuation is initiated, the Department of Public Safety will begin an evacuation.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless authorized by a uniformed public safety, police or fire officer.
February 20, 2019