Natural Gas Leaks
- If you smell natural gas and suspect a gas leak, evacuate the building by using the
nearest safe exit and advise others to do the same.
- Do not switch on lights or use electrical equipment, cell phones or elevators.
- From a safe location, contact the Department of Public Safety at (810) 762-5666 or
(810) 762-0222, activate the nearest emergency call box or dial 0 from any MCC office
phone and state the suspected location of the leak.
- If individuals with disabilities cannot safely evacuate or move to the lower level
of the building, assist them to the nearest safe stairwell or exit and notify emergency
personnel of their location.
- Once outside, move away from the building. Keep walkways, fire lanes and hydrants
clear for emergency personnel.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless authorized by a uniformed, Public Safety
August 10, 2016