If you observe a suspicious object, this could be a potential bomb. DO NOT HANDLE OR APPROACH THE OBJECT! Immediately clear the surrounding area and contact the Department of Public Safety at (810) 762-5666, (810) 762-0222, activate the nearest emergency call box, or dial “0” from any MCC office phone. Report the location and description of the object.
Identifying a Suspicious Package and Letters:
- Excessive Postage.
- Handwritten or poorly typed addresses.
- Incorrect titles.
- Title, but no name.
- Misspellings of common words.
- Oily stains, discolorations or odor.
- Powdery substance on the package.
- Excessive weight.
- Lopsided or uneven packaging.
- Protruding wires or aluminum foil.
- Visual distractions.
- Ticking sound.
- Excessive security material such as masking tape, string, etc.
- Marked with restrictive endorsements such as “Personal,” “Confidential,” or “Do not X-ray.”
- Strange return address or no return address.
- Shows a city or state in the postmark that does not match the return address.
- Is marked with a threatening message.
When a Package Has been Identified as Suspicious:
- Stay calm and do not panic.
- Do not move, shake, or handle, the suspicious package or letter.
- Do not sniff, touch, taste or look inside.
- Do not show it to others.
- Call Public Safety at (810) 762-0222 or from a Campus Emergency Phone.
- If there is reason to suspect that a package may contain an explosive device, leave the area immediately.
- If powder or a suspicious substance spills from a package or letter do the following:
- Do not clean up the powder or substance.
- Turn off any fans or ventilation units in the area (if readily available).
- If you know how, shut down the air handling system in the building.
- Leave the area immediately. Close the door or section off the area to prevent others from entering.
- Wash your hands with soap and water to prevent spreading the powder or substance to your face.
- Remove heavily contaminated clothing as soon as possible. Place the contaminated clothing in a plastic bag or a container that can be sealed. Give the clothing bag to Public Safety.
- If contaminated, shower with soap and water as soon as possible. Do not use bleach or other disinfectant on your skin.
- List all people who were in the area when the suspicious package was recognized and give this information to Public Safety.