Violent or Criminal Behavior
Report any suspicious or dangerous situations and/or individuals to the Department of Public Safety.
- If you are a victim, or observe a criminal act or suspicious person on campus, immediately
notify the Department of Public Safety at (810) 762-0222 or activate the nearest emergency
call box. When reporting the incident, provide the following information:
- Your name and location.
- Nature of the incident.
- Location, date and time of the incident.
- Description of person(s) involved.
- Description of property involved.
- Any additional pertinent information.
- Take the following action if you are a victim of theft:
- Go to a safe place and notify the Department of Public Safety.
- Follow the instructions of the dispatcher.
- Do not touch anything that may have been handled by the perpetrator/suspect.
- Explain to the responding officer everything you observed, including telling the officer if you touched or moved anything.
- Take the following action if you are a victim of a violent/personal crime:
- Be observant! The more information you can provide, the better chance the criminal will be apprehended. Remember, whatever you decide to do, you must be prepared both mentally and physically. Your safety is the most important thing to remember during any attack.
- As soon as possible, get to a safe place and notify the Department of Public Safety at (810) 762-0222 or activate the nearest emergency call box.
- Advise officers of the nature and location of the incident, your location, advise if medical assistance is needed and provide a description and direction of travel of the suspect.
- Meet with the officer to file a complaint and initiate an investigation.
- What to do if taken hostage:
- Be patient and follow instructions.
- Do not speak unless spoken to and then only when necessary.
- The captor may be in an agitated state. Avoid arguments and displays of hostility.
- Be observant. When you are released, be prepared to answer questions about the incident.
- If medications, first aid or restroom privileges are needed, ask.
February 20, 2019