Our Academic Advisors help you stay on track and graduate while getting the most of your time at MCC.

Many questions can be quickly answered by reviewing this short frequently asked question page. If you still have questions regarding your academic program, college policy, or procedure please contact your Academic Advisor. Not sure who your Academic Advisor is? Login to your Backpack to find out!

Many college students are undecided about their program (major) at Mott Community College. Counseling & Student Development offers career counseling for undecided students. Career counseling usually includes completing an assessment to explore your interests, skills, and values and how those can translate to an education and career. Learn more about career counseling here.

Great question! The best way to prepare is to read the Advising Expectations. Once you have, it’s also encouraged to 1) review our degree requirements in Backpack, 2) select a few classes that would be interesting to you, 3) write down any questions you may have.

Calculating your GPA is easy when you use the Mott Community College GPA Calculator.

Class Credits Multiplied by Final Grade Points Earned
BIOL-151 4 x 3.5 14
ENGL-101 3 x 4.0 12
PSYC-281 3 x 1.5 4.5
CASD-123 2 x 3.5 7
MATH-150 4 x 3.0 12
TOTAL 16 49.5

49.5 Points / 16 credits = 3.09 GPA

You can drop a class before the semester begins without any penalty. However, once the semester begins you need to read the Academic/Registration Calendar to see when the refund for full and half end. After date of record you will only be able to withdraw from a class.

Currently, you can do a “what if I change my program (major)” in Backpack, however this is not permanent. To officially change your program of study, please access your "Account Manager" located under the "My Mott Apps" section in your MCC4me account. A guide is provided in the link below.

Using "Account Manager" to Change Program of Study (Major)
Students who change their program of study or do not enroll in classes for a full academic year (e.g. - A student registered for Fall does not register for the following Winter, Summer or Fall semesters) will be required to follow the most current catalog and program requirements at the time of changing their program or returning.

Students who have not maintained a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 by the time they have attempted at least 12 credits are placed on academic probation. Read more on the Records website.

Full-time is 12 credits or more during the Fall and Winter Semesters and 6 credits during Spring and Summer Semesters.

You should study 2-3 hours per hour in the classroom. Each credit is one hour of class instruction. This means that if you have 3 credits, you are in the class 3 hours a week. If you are registered for 15 credits, then you should plan to study 30 hours a week. This means you have 45 hours every week of college.

Yes! Disability Services is located on the main floor of Prahl College Center. Disability Services works collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff to create an inclusive educational environment for students. Read more on the Disability Services website at disability.mcc.edu.

Students that fail to maintain the GPA and Pace measures of SAP will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for their following period of enrollment (semester/term). Students must meet SAP standards at the end of their Warning period. Students that are at 130% of the Maximum Timeframe measure will also be placed on Warning. Students can receive financial aid during their Warning semester.

Students that fail to maintain the GPA and Pace measures of SAP at the end of the Warning period will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension. Students that were on Warning for Maximum Time Frame and fail to complete their program of study during the Warning period will be placed on Suspension. Students that fail to meet the Maximum Timeframe measure will be placed on Suspension, even if they were not previously placed on Warning. Students on Suspension are not eligible to receive financial aid. Students have the right to appeal their Financial Aid Suspension.

Six credits are required to take out a federal loan during the fall, winter, and summer semesters. Read more…