Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA)
Mott Community College has several agreements with Michigan colleges and universities. These agreements allow students to enter four-year or bachelor’s degree programs using MCC programs and degrees. Additional information on the agreements is available in the My Pathway to Transfer page.
The Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) is designed to facilitate transfer from one institution to another. One of the guiding principles of the agreement is to promote transparency among institutions and ensure accurate transfer information for students.
The 30 credit hours of lower-level general education from the sending institution will be accepted as a block of 30 credit hours by the receiving institution. Students may complete the MTA as part of an associate degree or as a stand-alone package. At MCC, the MTA has been included in all AA, AS and AFA pathways and is a portion (30-32 credits) of the requirements for these pathways. Please follow your specific pathway for degree completion. The MTA requirements are not included in the AAS because the focus of the AAS degree is on occupational courses. The AGS degree does not include the MTA requirements.
Credits from students who have attended previous institutions will be evaluated and recorded as meeting “MTA” requirements of MCC’s general education requirements, as long as their home institution considered those courses to satisfy general education requirements. Please note, a student must earn at least one credit-bearing course at MCC in order to have “MTA Satisfied” posted on a MCC transcript.
Students are highly encouraged to follow the new Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) requirements; however the previous MACRAO Agreement will be honored by the Michigan College and Universities through the Fall of 2019.
Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) Requirements
To fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement, students must successfully complete at least 30 credits, with at least a 2.0 in each course. These credits, which will be certified by a Michigan community college, should be met according to the following distribution:
- 1 course in English Composition
- A second course in English Composition or 1 course in Communication
- 1 course in *Mathematics. One math course in College Algebra, Statistics or Quantitative Reasoning, or an advanced level course in any of these areas.
- *Please contact the Office of the Registrar to verify Math courses.
- 2 courses in Social Sciences (from two disciplines)
- 2 courses in Humanities and Fine Arts (from two disciplines and excluding studio and performance classes)
- 2 courses in Natural Sciences including one with laboratory experience (from two disciplines)
If these courses do not add up to 30 hours then the student must take an additional course from one of these groups.
MACRAO Transfer Agreement
To fulfill the MACRAO Transfer Agreement, students must successfully complete at least 30 credits. The student must have an average of 2.0 in all courses in the below distribution. A minimum of 15 of these credits must be earned at MCC.
The courses needed to satisfy the MACRAO requirements are as follows:
- English Composition......6 credit hours
- Science and Math...........8 credit hours. Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas. At least one science course must include a laboratory.
- Social Science.................8 credit hours. Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas.
- Humanities.....................8 credit hours. Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas.