Who has access to the FABLAB?
An existing business, a student, a garage inventor, homemakers, engineers, - just about any creative soul with a great idea.
- Explore the FABLAB
This is free and open to everyone including K-12. For information or to schedule a tour, call (810) 232-4553
TECH-120, “Introduction to FABLAB” is an introduction to "personal fabrication” in which students will learn to use commercially available technologies to "conceptualize, design, develop, fabricate and test" objects. This course covers the computer software and contemporary tools necessary for cutting, milling, engraving, electrical and rapid prototype development.
There are two avenues for the community to access the FABLAB:
The Digital Fabrication Workshop most closely mirrors the MIT FABLAB model where individuals work and learn only what they need to know to develop their product ideas. It is designed to provide access to the equipment and software and limited help with software applications.
The Digital Workshop is available in two (2) time-based formats.
- Digital Fabrication Workshop “A” - $59.00 for two (2) weeks – 10 working days
- Digital Fabrication Workshop “B” - $109.00 for one (1) month – 20 working days
- Supplies consumed are charged on a case by case basis
The Digital Fabrication Seminar is designed for individuals who prefer/require additional support to complete the design development process and the creation of a prototype part.
The Digital Fabrication Seminar provides a more comprehensive level of support with
the prototype development process and requires the individual ‘inventor’ to have an
idea and sketch (at a minimum) and to remain engaged in the development process as
the ‘owner’ of the idea. MCC will provide access to an extern/intern/co-op student,
or staff member to support the CAD modeling activity, CorelDraw file creation, etc.
and the operation of required equipment.
NOTE: College and student support with file creation does not constitute a “professional design service” and all prototypes should be validated and approved by the inventor and/or other design/engineering professionals before proceeding to production or distribution.
The Digital Fabrication Seminar has four (4) formats:
- Digital Fabrication Seminar “A” - $125.00 for up to one (1) week – up to five (5) working days of lab access plus up to five (5) hours of product development support. Supplies consumed are charged on a case by case basis.
- Digital Fabrication Seminar “B” - $250.00 for two (2) weeks – up to (10) working days of lab access plus up to (10) hours of product development support. Supplies consumed are charged on a case by case basis.
- Digital Fabrication “C” - $450.00 for one (1) month – up to (20) working days of lab access plus up to (20) hours of product development support. Supplies consumed are charged on a case by case basis.
- Customized models to support more sophisticated projects. Contact college personnel for more information.