What is it?
Verification is a process by which students are selected by the U.S. Department of Education to submit documentation to verify the accuracy of information reported on the FAFSA. Mott Community College is required to participate in the verification process.
There are multiple ways to know if you must complete the verification process.
- MCC4me/"My Backpack"-under Financial Aid > Required Documents
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Letter sent by U.S. Mail for your initial notification
- Email reminders sent to your mcc.edu email account
- Email and text notifications are sent to your personal account once your online account is created at mcc.verifymyfafsa.com
If you are selected for verification, a link to “Task to Do” in Student Forms will be added to your “Required Documents” section of your "My Backpack".
Please do not send in documentation unless they are requested from you. Doing so may result in a delay of your financial aid being awarded.
Documents can be submitted to the Financial Aid Office by uploading those documents to mcc.verifymyfafsa.com
- The student will be required to set up their account.
- The student’s user name and password is the same as the MCC account.
- Student can use a computer or smart phone to create and upload their documents.
- Computers are available for use in the lower level of the Prahl College Center outside the Financial Aid Office.
While there is not a fixed deadline, it is in the student’s best interest to complete verification as soon as possible. We encourage those selected for verification to complete the process at least 45 days prior to the start of the desired term of enrollment to allow time for processing prior to the payment due date for that term.
All verification must be completed within 30 days of the end of the term in which the student was last enrolled.
The verification process is mandated by the U.S. Department of Education and must be completed before federal aid, as well as some other sources of aid, can be awarded or disbursed. If you do not wish to complete this process, please notify the Financial Aid Office so that your status can be updated.
Once you have submitted all required documents, your file will be reviewed. If it is determined that corrections need to be made to the information reported on your FAFSA, MCC will make those corrections. Once we receive an updated FAFSA back from the U.S. Department of Education, your financial aid will be awarded and you will be sent an award letter. Your awards will also be available to view on My Backpack.