Hispanic Technology & Community Center

Hispanic Technology & Community Center History

Sponsored by:
Hispanic Technology & Community Center of Greater Flint formerly known as the American GI Forum of Flint and Mott Community College

“Education is our freedom and freedom should be everybody’s business.”

The American GI Forum was established in 1948 by WWII veteran Dr. Hector Perez Garcia. The American GI Forum is the oldest Hispanic non-profit organization in the country.

The Flint chapter of the AGIF was founded in 1968 by Ben Mata and eight other veterans. The mission of this chapter is to champion and advance the education and training of Hispanics and other citizens of the metropolitan area of Flint so that the democratic ideals of equality and justice-for-all are ensured. The American GI Forum of Flint is an independent 501(c)(3).

The original purpose of the AGIF was to raise funds for educational scholarships and to help them access higher education. Since 1988 over 50 students have received over $40,000 in scholarships.

In 2001, the AGIF Flint Chapter established the Hispanic Technology & Community Center (HTCC) with the help of a federal grant and the support of Mott Community College. The HTCC of Greater Flint is located on the East side of Flint at 2101 Lewis St. This building was donated by Citizens Bank and was rehabilitated with grant dollars procured by MCC.

The HTCC of Greater Flint is staffed with a full-time bi-lingual Executive Director, two work-study students and community volunteers. MCC provides technological equipment, support and oversight.

Programs available through the HTCC of Greater Flint include computer based educational services, bi-lingual instructions in English as a Second Language and Spanish as a Second Language, Spanish translation services.

 

2101 Lewis St.
Flint, MI 48506
(810) 424-3760
Fax: (810) 768-4027
htccofgreaterflint@gmail.com

Hours:
Mon–Fri 9:00am – 6:00pm

Driving Directions

 
Mott Tree Logo