Prevention Programs and Safety Tips
The Public Safety Department of Mott Community College works to prevent crimes from occurring rather than react to them after the fact. MCC has a comprehensive Crime Prevention program which is based upon the dual concepts of eliminating or minimizing criminal opportunities, whenever possible, and encouraging the college community to be responsible for their own security and the security of others.
Provides a Public Safety escort, available upon request, for persons walking on campus (Main Campus). For an escort, call (810) 762-0222, 2-0222 on the college phone system.
Public Safety personnel are assigned to continuously patrol all areas of campus 24 hours per day, all year long.
Emergency Response Team (ERT)
When an emergency has been declared on campus you will see many ERT members in yellow vests/jackets providing directions for taking shelter, exiting the building or other safety instructions. Please quickly and accurately follow their directions. If additional assistance is required notify an ERT member as soon as possible.
Building Emergency Call Boxes
Each building on the main campus has Emergency Call Boxes located in the hallways. These boxes are marked by a "red sign" and by this symbol on the main campus maps. Push the button for assistance from Public Safety.
Parking Lot/ Ramp Emergency Call Boxes
Efforts are made to advise members of the campus community on a timely basis about campus crime and related crime problems. See Crime Statistics.
Closed Circuit Television Surveillance
Cameras are operational in various areas of the main campus, including some parking areas.
Electronic Alarm Systems
Electronic alarms are installed on MCC’s Main Campus, with the system being expanded.
Whistle Alert Program
Students or employees can get a free, high-quality whistle to use in the event of a threat or attack.
Office Watch Program
A formal network of employees who act as the "Eyes and Ears" of the Public Safety Department to report suspicious persons or activities.
- If you feel that you are being followed go to an office, a highly visible area or a place where there are people who can see you. Call the Public Safety Department at 2-0222 from any on campus phone or Emergency Call Box.
- Keep your personal belongings in view at all times. Never leave them even for a moment, to use he restroom or get a drink.
- Keep your purse in a locked cabinet or locker. Never place your valuables in a highly visible area.
- If you observe a suspicious person, dial 2-0222 from any on campus phone and report it to the Public Safety Department.
- At night never walk alone. If no one is available to walk with you, call the Public Safety Department and request an escort at 2-0222 from any on campus phone, or when you see a Public Safety Officer, he or she will be willing to walk with you.
- Walk on designated walkways that are well lit. Report poor lighting or any lights that are out to the Public Safety Department or any Public Safety Officer.
- Never prop open doors, especially fire doors.
- Always remember do not leave valuables in your car in open view, conceal such items in a safe place or in the trunk of your car.
- ICE (In Case of Emergency) seen as cell phone lifeline for emergency personnel. Read More
If anyone needs medical assistance or an ambulance, call the Public Safety Department. Each of our patrol cars has up-to-date first aid kits and we have a direct link to the Flint Police Department.