Service Learning at MCC
"Service Learning is an amazing example of the truly unique, wonderful and dedicated students and faculty that we have here at Mott. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my teaching career thus far. I am hooked!" Faculty
What is Service Learning?
Service Learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.
How is Service Learning Distinct?
- Involves a balance between learning goals and service outcomes.
- Equally benefits the provider and the recipient.
- Generally broad based to meet multiple learning outcomes.
- An integration of community service and academic study.
- Students contribute to the community while using the community as an opportunity for learning.
- Learners serve the public good while gaining more effective cognitive development and academic concepts.
- Service enhances the learning and learning enhances the service.