Federal Work-Study Program - Work-Study Employment Process
- Apply for Financial Aid.
- Attend a Student Employee Orientation. Contact the Student Employment Center (SEC), located in the upper level of the Prahl College Center, room 2280, for the time and place.
- Complete the required employment paperwork (see Appendix A) and return the employment file to the SEC.
- If all conditions are met under the "Who is Eligible" section of Federal Work Study, including being enrolled in no less than the minimum credits and the student has been awarded Federal Work Study, a student may review the work study job postings located in the SEC, Prahl College Center, room 2280.
- All students must provide a resume to be attached to each referral and one for their student employee file. The Student Employment Center can provide resume samples and assistance. Students will be required to update their resumes yearly.
- Receive a Student Employment Referral Form (see Appendix A) from the SEC.
- Contact the prospective employer to schedule an interview. Employer information and the work study award will be on the Student Employment Referral Form.
- Meet with the employer. Be prepared to answer questions. It is a good idea for students to bring a copy of their current class schedule, hours available for work and their resume. SEC has resume samples and can provide help with preparation.
- The student will be notified by the Department if he/she has been hired. The Referral Form must be signed by the hiring department and returned to the SEC. Each semester a student employee's work schedule will be determined by the employer's needs as well as the student's availability. Employment is not guaranteed. Students are not permitted to work during the hours they are scheduled to be attending class unless the class has been canceled, if so student must obtain supervisory approval. Students are expected to plan their studies, projects and extra-curricular activities around both their class and work schedules.
- The student must return to the SEC Office to complete the I-9 and W-4 forms before beginning work. Upon completion of these documents the student can be placed on the payroll.
Documents needed to complete the I-9 process
Option #1: Bring one document from A and one document from B:
- One of the following pieces of identification is needed to establish identity:
- Unexpired state driver's license or
- Unexpired state I.D. card.
- One of the following pieces of identification is needed to establish employment eligibility:
- Actual Social Security Card
- Certified copy of a birth certificate
October 29, 2018