Computer Competency Test-Out Option
The Computer Competency Test (CCT) assesses students' computer competency. It includes mostly performance-based simulations and some knowledge-based questions taken online in the Testing Center. Students are encouraged to review the TTA Assessment Guide and sample test prior to taking the CCT.
Policies and Information
In response to the increasing demand for computer skills in the workplace, all degree programs will require the demonstration of meeting a Computer Competency requirement (CCR). Students entering MCC or changing their Program of Study after (and including) the 2016 catalog year will be required to demonstrate their computer competency prior to degree completion.
Students may demonstrate their computer competency in one of two ways:
- Satisfactory completion of the COMG 153: Computers-A Practical Approach
- Completion of the Computer Competency test with a minimum of 70 percent*
NOTE: Some programs require taking COMG-153; taking and successfully passing the course demonstrates the competency. For those programs that do not require COMG-153, a competency test-out option is available and can be taken in the Testing Center.
Appointments for the Computer Competency Test are encouraged or strongly suggested.
Taking the Computer Competency Test
Objectives: Maximizing / Minimizing, Locating, Organizing, Saving, Copying, Printing, Basic Storage and Storage Devices.
- Working with files in Windows (locating, organizing)
- Finding files on your computer (locating)
- Common computer tasks (copying)
- What is a flash drive? (basic storage and storage devices)
- Printing documents (printing)
- Moving and sizing windows (maximizing / minimizing)
- Saving and sharing documents (saving)
Objectives: Efficiently Search, Bookmarks, Basic Website Navigate
Objectives Passwords, Spam and Phishing, Virus Protection, Identity Theft, Downloading
Objectives: Read/Reply, Open/Download files, Open/Send Attachments, Basic File Organization
Objectives: Check Grades, Access File, Open / Upload/ Attach File
Objectives: Basic Layout, Open/Read/Edit Documents, Keyboard Awareness, Saving/Save As, Print, Using pictures and images within a document
Objectives:Create, Format, and Prepare Presentation, Basic Software Functions, Graphics, charts, slide show effects
Objectives:Basic Formulas, Basic Formatting Issues
- Getting started with Excel https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/excel2016/getting-started-with-excel/1/
- Intro to formulas (basic formulas) https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/excel2016/intro-to-formulas/1/
- Formatting cells (basic formatting issues) https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/excel2016/formatting-cells/1/
- Understanding number formats (basic formatting issues)
To take the Computer Competency Test
After the test
Ask for a copy of your test results to add to your academic portfolio.