The history of Mott Community College spans more than 97 years of success and service. In 1923, the Flint Board of Education established Flint Junior College to make a college education available to Genesee County students at a minimal cost without forcing them to leave home.
In 1950 Charles Stewart Mott gave $1 million to develop Flint Junior College into a four-year institution in collaboration with the University of Michigan, a move that created the College and Cultural Center (including the DeWaters Art Center, the Flint Institute of Arts, Longway Planetarium, Bower Theater, Sloan Museum, Whiting Auditorium, Flint Institute of Music and the Flint Public Library main branch). In 1951, William Ballenger, Sr. set aside $200,000 for the construction of an athletic field house and left a trust of several million dollars that allowed the college to hire top quality instructors to elevate Flint Junior College to a true community college. C. S. Mott then donated 32 acres of farmland and additional money for an entire new campus.
In 1957, University of Michigan-Flint was established on the MCC campus and remained here until the mid-1970s when its new downtown campus was established (although UM-Flint science classes remained at MCC for another decade and UM-F's public TV station remained on the MCC campus until 2002).
In 1969, Genesee County voters converted Flint Junior College into a countywide college, Genesee Community College. When C.S. Mott died in 1973 (at age 97) Genesee Community College was renamed Charles Stewart Mott Community College.
The 1980s saw the MCC enter the computer age. Student registration was fully computerized and classes were offered by television. By the mid-1990s classes were offered via videotape, television and the Internet, and satellite locations opened in Lapeer and Fenton. In 1991, MCC helped establish the Mott Middle College, a nationally recognized program for troubled but talented high school students in the Genesee County area.
In 1996 MCC began development of the Regional Technology Center (RTC), a center for high-technology education built on the site of the old St. Joseph Hospital, adjacent to the main campus. The $40-million facility opened in September 2002 and drew more than 1,300 students its first semester. In addition, thousands of area residents have attended community events at the new RTC. At the same time, Mott College opened its Visual Arts & Design Center, offering a first quality facility for the fine arts and graphic design. Three community technology centers were also established in Flint to help bridge the "digital divide." In 2001, MCC expanded to Livingston County, opening a Michigan Technical Education Center in Howell. In 2002, MCC also opened the Northern Tier Center in Clio to serve students in the northern part of Genesee County. This center was so successful (enrollment rose rapidly from 400 to 1,100 students) that a new larger facility was opened in January 2007.
On the main campus, the MCC Library underwent expansion and renovations in 2008-2009, adding study rooms for students, multi-purpose teaching and learning, and meeting spaces.
The year 2010 saw the opening of a Media Arts & Entertainment Technology Center, providing professional-quality technical training for a wide variety of media-related careers.
Just a year later, MCC opened its FabLab in the Regional Technology Center as part of a mid-Michigan initiative to promote innovation and entrepreneurship. The FabLab provides entrepreneurs a place to use digital technologies to move ideas through product development and into the market.
Also new to the RTC is the Innovation Center, a collaborative space between the Information Technology and Electronics and Electrical Technology programs. The environment is designed as an extension of the classroom to support multi-disciplinary projects and provide supervised student access to state-of-the-art equipment outside of class times.
In 2015 MCC launched its International Institute as a way to initiate, coordinate, promote, and support campus and community-wide efforts for international and intercultural programming. The institute was designed to increase global awareness and understanding for supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion and equipping students with intercultural competence in a global society. Today, it includes international students, study abroad oppo! rtunities, and will offer virtual foreign exchange opportunities starting in 2022.
In 2019 MCC expanded its campus to downtown Flint with the opening of a state-of-the-art Culinary Arts Institute at the corner of Second and Saginaw streets in the heart of the entertainment district. The fully-renovated, 36,000 square-foot, Institute features multiple culinary and baking laboratories, a garde manger classroom, a chocolates and confections laboratory, an upscale casual restaurant, and a Coffee Beanery franchise, to teach all aspects of the food service industry.
The main campus expanded once again in 2021 with the grand opening of the Lenore Croudy Family Life Center, located in the renovated former Woodside Church, adjacent to the main campus on Court Street. The Center, named for long time Board of Trustees chair Lenore Croudy, provides wrap-around services for students experiencing challenges related to food, housing, chil dcare, transportation, healthcare and other personal barriers to academic success.
In times of crises, MCC has proven itself an anchor institution for Flint and Genesee County. During the Flint Water Crisis in 2014, the College served as a water distribution center and made a long term commitment to providing safe drinking water at all campus facilities. During the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020-2022, the College continued to serve the community as a vaccination station.
MCC is moving forward in 2022 with plans to renovate the Prahl College Center, with the help of a generous donation by the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation.