All About The Grades

Note: MCC sign-in credentials required to access/view/download documents or forms as indicated with this icon:

All grade changes must be made within one calendar year following the end of the course for which the grade was recorded.

login required Grade Change Form (Faculty Login Required)

To remain in good academic standing, a student must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA). MCC uses a four-point system in calculating a student's average, based on grades from 4.0 to 0.0.

To determine a grade point average, a student should determine the number of grade points earned in each completed course, add them together and then divide the total by the number of credits taken.

The following example illustrates how to calculate a GPA

Course Credits Grade Points
BIOL 107 4 credits x 3.5 = 14.0 Grade Points
ENGL 101 3 credits x 4.0 = 12.0 Grade Points
SOCY 191 3 credits x 1.5 = 4.5 Grade Points
PEAC 106 2 credits x 2.0 = 4.0 Grade Points
COMG 165 1 credit x 2.5 = 2.5 Grade Points

Total 13 credits and 37 points = 2.85 GPA
Note: A course with an incomplete ("I") grade is not included in the GPA. The GPA will be recalculated when the grade is changed.

All grade changes must be made within one calendar year following the end of the course for which the grade was recorded.

Grade Point Average Calculator
Scale Definition
4.0 Superior
3.5 Very Good
3.0 Good
2.5 Above Average
2.0 Average
1.5 Below Average
1.0 Poor
0.0 Failure
S = Satisfactory

A grade "S" only earns credit towards graduation if course level is 100 or higher.

U = Unsatisfactory

A grade of "U" does not earn credit toward graduation.

W = Withdrawal

A grade of "W" indicates official withdrawal from a course in which a student has enrolled. A student must initiate the process to withdraw by submitting a worksheet to the Registration Office.

N = Audit

A grade of "N" indicates that a student is enrolled in a course on an audit basis. The grade means that no credit is given. A student who wishes to attend a class regularly but does not require a grade or credit may decide to audit the course. Students may enroll on an audit basis, or may change to an audit basis prior to the tenth week with the instructor's approval. A student who enrolls on an audit basis may not change to a credit basis.

NE = Never Engaged

Instructors may assign an "NE" grade which indicates the student never engaged in the course. Never submitted gradable work and never attended.

I = Incomplete Effective Summer 2006

A student must initiate a request for an "I" (Incomplete Grade) from an instructor. The "I" will be given at the sole discretion of the instructor.

Typically an "I" will be given only when the student:

  • Has completed at least 75% of the class (excluding the final exam) but is unable to complete the class work because of extraordinary, unusual or unforeseen circumstances or other compelling reasons,
  • Has done passing work in the course and,
  • In the instructor's judgment, can complete the required work without repeating the course.
  • Is eligible under Title IX - Supporting the Academic Success of Pregnant and Parenting Students. Please view the following link for more information:

Instructors electing to give an "I" will complete an Incomplete Grade Form by the time final course grades are due. This form will specify what the student must do to complete the course requirements. It will specify a date by which the required work must be completed. The Incomplete Grade Form will indicate the grade the student will receive if the assigned work is not completed. Both the student and the instructor will sign the form. Copies will be provided to the Registrar, the student, the instructor and the Division Office. Responsibility for monitoring and grading the "I" work may not be transferred to another instructor without agreement of the faculty involved and the approval of the Academic Dean.

login required Incomplete Grade Form (Faculty Login Required)

The instructor will submit a Grade Change Form to the Registrar when the student has completed the assigned work. All incomplete course work will be finished by the date indicated on the Incomplete Grade From, but not to exceed one calendar year from the end of the semester for which the "I" grade was recorded. If a Grade Change Form is not submitted by the end of one calendar year, the "I" will default to the grade submitted on the Incomplete Grade Form.

Each instructor shall include an "I" grade policy consistent with college policy in his/her syllabus.

P = 2.0F = 0.0

To provide a “no harm” option for students impacted by the COVID-19 semester disruption during the Winter 19/20 semester only