2013-2018 Strategic Plan-Archived
Mott Community College 2013-2018 Strategic Plan
- Strategic Planning Group Role & Responsibilities
- MCC Mission Statement
- 2013-2018 Overarching Strategic Goals
- Implementation Procedures
The 2013-2018 Mott Community College Strategic Plan was approved by the Board of Trustees on November 26, 2012. This is the third consecutive five-year strategic plan presented since 2000-2001. The plan is based on seven categories of overarching goals: student learning & success; technology initiatives; systems improvement; economic development; human resources development; institutional image & community relations; and budget/finance. The plan contains 27 overarching goals, many of which were revised and/or updated from the previous 2007-2012 Strategic Plan.
Since 2000-2001, MCC has used an inclusive process of stakeholder input for the development of institutional priorities. The current goals were updated using a “refresh” process, where departmental managers engaged all employees to suggest revisions and additional goals. The strategic planning process was also designed to garner input from numerous college stakeholders and other external data sources. The plan also incorporates feedback from outside sources such as recent external reviews from The Aspen Institute’s College Excellence Program, Achieving the Dream (AtD), and the Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP). In addition to a variety of environmental scanning activities, MCC has a sustained practice of collaboration and benchmarking with local K-12 school districts and other comprehensive community colleges.
The Executive Cabinet analyzed and synthesized the internal and external feedback generated during the strategic planning process to create a model strategic plan suitable for input from members of the college community, and ultimately for approval by the Board of Trustees. This plan is meant to be a consistent and comprehensive guide to college planning and institutional priories for the coming years.
Charles Stewart Mott Community College
Regular Board of Trustees Meeting, December 17, 2012
Mott Community College Strategic Plan 2013-2018
The strategic planning group sought to garner input from numerous college stakeholders, as well as, external data sources. The group analyzed and synthesized this information to create a model strategic plan suitable for additional input from members of the college community, and ultimately, for presentation to the Board of Trustees for its approval.
The mission of Mott Community College is to provide high quality, accessible, and affordable educational opportunities and services that cultivate student success and individual development and improve the overall quality of life in a multicultural community.
- Utilize research to assess and develop curriculum to meet the needs of students, employers, the community, and transfer institutions.
- Focus, align and integrate organizational efforts to create learning-centered environments that offer all students an opportunity to succeed.
- Develop pathways that support the timely completion of degrees for all students.
- Provide innovative developmental education and college readiness programs that work to close achievement gaps and address structural inequities that impede student success.
- Implement comprehensive research-based strategies to increase student retention.
- Commit the funds to maintain user-centered, state-of-the-art technology and staffing support that enhances student learning, supports faculty/staff productivity, maximizes student success, and ensures organizational effectiveness.
- Establish systematic processes and practices to maintain data integrity.
- Promote a culture of data security awareness across all areas of the organization to support student privacy and limit college liability.
- Enhance and align continuous process and systems improvement to respond quickly to changes in the internal and external environment.
- Expand and integrate the use of quality improvement processes within and across divisions and departments.
- Establish measurements and benchmarks to systematically advance organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ensure that MCC programs and services are directly related to the current and emerging labor market needs of our region.
- Continue to partner with local, regional and state entities to ensure that our students are prepared to meet the needs of the workplace.
- Participate in coordinated leadership with local, state, and regional efforts to attract and retain jobs.
- Monitor global markets for emerging fields of study that will bring new opportunities to our students, the community, and the region.
- Promote a culture that fosters collegiality, creates a sense of community among faculty and staff, and furthers employee responsibility for outcomes.
- Maintain rigorous selection and performance standards for faculty and staff.
- Provide comprehensive professional development opportunities that improve teaching and learning, develop leadership, and strengthen employee skills.
- Maintain a leadership role in the community by engaging community partners to better meet area educational needs.
- Continue to provide a safe learning and working environment.
- Emphasize the diversity, quality, and affordability of the college’s programs and services through marketing.
- Promote and share best practices in education at the local, state, and national levels.
- Focus on controllable revenues and costs to sustain our current reputation and facilities and provide funding for strategic priorities.
- Maintain short and long term budget and finance priorities that provide a balanced approach to the needs of a learning organization with the flexibility to realign resources.
- Continually review the comprehensive strategy that addresses the long term deficit which enables us to provide affordable high quality education.
- Continue to provide relevant and accurate financial information to college stakeholders in a timely manner in order to facilitate effective decision making, maximizing student success.
- Seek and cultivate alternative resources to supplement and/or increase existing revenue streams and funding sources.
- MCC Board of Trustees approves five-year MCC Strategic Plan.
- College-wide dissemination of Strategic Plan and related materials.
- President directs Executive Cabinet to identify action steps or enabling objectives that can be accomplished in upcoming year that apply to one or more of the strategic goals or objectives.
- Each Executive Cabinet member conducts a planning process to identify current fiscal year action plans with measurable outcomes.
- Review of plans by full Executive Cabinet to determine cross-functional impact.
- Communicate to Board of Trustees the linkage between the Strategic Plan and the budget. (Beginning with current fiscal year, during board consideration of upcoming budget, management will communicate to the Board the action steps planned to be implemented for each strategic objective.)