Advance Payment:

Students may request an advance payment for their benefits. The request must be filled out in the Veteran Services Office and must be received by the VA 30 days prior to the semester.


Veteran students must complete each class enrolled. If a student stops attending at any point of the semester, the VA will stop payments or overpayment will occur and the student will incur a debt with the VA.

BAH and Online Classes:

Those enrolled solely in distance or online training will be entitled to 1/2 the national average BAH rate.

Changes in Enrollment:

Any changes made to a schedule after submitting to the Veteran Services Office should be resubmitted immediately. Neglecting to do so may result in an overpayment by the VA and a debt incurred by the student. Records are posted daily indicating the official date of a student withdrawal or drop. A student may withdraw from a class at any time prior to the 90% point of the semester or session. Withdrawal from or dropping of courses may affect the veteran's eligibility for benefits.

Chapter 31 and Chapter 33

Mott Community College will not impose penalties upon any student using Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 VA education benefits who is unable to meet their financial obligations to the college, due to delayed disbursement from the VA. To prevent imposing penalties upon students using GI Bill ® [1] benefits, all students utilizing those benefits will be required to submit a login required Veterans Responsibility Form and the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) they received from the VA, prior to the billing due date for that semester.

College Credit for Military Experience:

"The Military Evaluations Program provides for the evaluation of Service School courses; selected, enlisted, warrant officer and limited duty officer occupations; Navy enlisted classifications; Department of Defense courses; National Guard and Reserve courses; plus Coast Guard courses. Thousands of Service members can earn college credit for their military training and occupation through evaluations conducted by the American Council on Education (ACE). These recommended credits can be applied to a college degree or a vocational certificate that can lead to career and educational advancement."

Current Rates:

Current Rates for each program can be found at the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Failure of a Class:

The VA will pay once for a student to retake a class in which he or she received a failing grade given that the grade was punitive (grades that count toward graduation and that have an impact on a student's cumulative GPA). If the grade was a non-punitive grade (grade that does not count toward graduation and that does not have an impact on a student's cumulative GPA) the VA will not pay for the class.

Incomplete Grade:

The VA will allow one year for a student to complete a course with a punitive grade that received an incomplete grade. Once completed, the student is responsible for notifying the Certifying Official so that the class may be re-certified.

In-State Tuition:

Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill ® [1] -Active Duty Program), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), Chapter 35 (Dependent Benefits), or Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®), of Title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311 (b)(9)) who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Mott Community College will be charged in-State tuition rate (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

Request for Military Transcripts:

Military members in the Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard who are active duty, reserve duty or veterans are eligible for the Joint Service Transcript. Visit the registration webpage to obtain and access your Joint Service Transcript and follow these steps:

  • Register for an account.
  • Follow the "Transcripts" link and view, print or save your unofficial transcripts.
  • You can also click on "Official Transcript Request" and complete the form to have your official transcripts sent to your desired institution at no cost. Air Force members should contact the Community College of the Air Force for transcripts. You can order an official transcript through the Air University or the CCAF Online Transcript System.

Transcripts need to be requested from the military service branch and sent directly to:

  • Mott Community College
  • Attn: Records Department
  • 1401 E. Court St
  • Flint, MI 48503

Switching Benefits:

When switching from one benefit to another, the student is responsible for notifying the Certifying Official immediately.

Simultaneous Enrollment:

If a student plans to attend another college or university concurrent to their enrollment at Mott, he or she is responsible for notifying the Certifying Official at both schools. A parent letter must be submitted by the Certifying Official at your parent school to the Certifying Official at the guest school.

Satisfactory Progress:

A veteran, after attempting 12 credit hours or more with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of less than 2.0, will not be considered to be making satisfactory progress. The subsequent two (2) semesters or sessions will be the probation period. Failure to raise the GPA to a 2.0 during this period will result in certification being suspended. Written notification will be forwarded to Veterans Affairs and to the veteran. A veteran who enrolls half-time or more and who fails or withdraws from all subjects will be considered to be making unsatisfactory progress (except where there are extenuating circumstances). Similar lack of progress during the probation period will result in certification being suspended.

A veteran who fails a course (receives a failing grade or a grade less than the lowest grade required for completion of the course for graduation) may repeat the course one time and receive veterans benefits if the institution requires satisfactory completion of the course as part of the core curriculum for graduation.

Note: Readmitted veterans who have been previously suspended will be referred to Veterans Affairs for re-approval of certification. Any questions regarding certification should be referred to the Veteran Services Office in the Office of Records & Registration, PCCLL, (810) 762-0200.

When a veteran has accumulated credits that would result in the granting of a degree to the veteran and for which the degree has been certified to Veterans Affairs during the period of attendance in the institution, the veteran will be considered as having met the degree requirements and further financial benefit will be terminated unless the veteran has not otherwise fulfilled graduation requirements. One additional term or semester will be authorized for the veteran to meet those graduation requirements. The concern on the part of the Veterans Affairs is that a student does not continually enroll at various institutions and accumulate college credit simply for the purpose of receiving benefits.

1GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at