Fire Safety Measures
- Know the location of all fire extinguishers, fire exits, and alarm systems, and how
to use them.
- If a fire emergency exists, immediately activate the building fire alarm.
- Do not risk your life or safety! If a minor fire appears controllable, immediately activate building fire alarm, then
if you feel your safety is not at risk retrieve a fire extinguisher and discharge
it toward the base of the flame and sweep back and forth from front to rear.
- Take appropriate precautions to assure your personal safety.
- When you are in a safe area, away from the fire, contact the Department of Public
Safety at (810) 762-0222, or activate the nearest emergency call box. Give your name
and the exact location of the fire (building, floor, room, etc.). Be sure to stay
on the phone until released by the emergency operator.
- Evacuate the affected building by the nearest safe exit. If persons with disabilities
cannot safely evacuate the building, assist them to the nearest safe stairwell and
alert emergency personnel of their location.
- Evacuation chairs are available for use in each building on campus. Know their locations.
Public Safety or Emergency Response Team personnel may be available to assist in evacuation
- Always evacuate a building when the fire alarm is ringing.
- Do not use elevators.
- Once outside, move to a clear sheltered area that is away from the affected building.
Keep streets, fire lanes hydrants, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- After an evacuation, report to a designated assembly point. Stay there until an accurate
headcount is taken.
- Do not return to or enter an evacuated building unless authorized by a uniformed Public
- Should you become trapped inside a building during a fire, and a window is available,
place an article of clothing (shirt, coat, etc.) outside the window as a marker for
rescue crews. If there is no window, stay low to the floor where the air will be less
toxic. Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency crews as to your location. If
possible seal around doors to prevent smoke entry. Remain Calm.