During an earthquake, remain calm and quickly follow the steps outlined below:
- If indoors, seek refuge beside a large desk, table or other object. Stay away from glass, windows, shelves and heavy
- If outdoors, move quickly away from buildings, utility poles and other structures.
Caution: NEVER TOUCH A DOWNED POWER OR UTILITY LINE. You will not be able to tell which ones are live wires.
- If emergency assistance is necessary, contact the Department of Public Safety at (810)
762-0222, activate the nearest emergency call box. Advise the dispatcher if there
are any known injuries.
- Any property damage, damage to facilities or unusual odors should be reported to the
Department of Public Safety as soon as possible.
- Building evacuation will be initiated by the Department of Public Safety, emergency
response team members and emergency alert systems. Building occupants will be directed
to leave by the nearest safe exit.
- Do not use elevators.
- Once outside, proceed to an area that is away from the affected building. Keep streets,
fire lanes, hydrant areas, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless authorized by a uniformed public safety
police or fire officer.