Contact the Department of Public Safety First
In case of a radiation emergency, contact the Department of Public Safety at (810)
762-0222 or activate the nearest emergency call box. Public Safety will notify the
Chief/Executive Director of Public Safety, the Executive Director of Facilities Services,
the Flint Fire Department, the Genesee County Hazardous Materials Team and the Emergency
Response Coordinator. In the event of a radiation emergency follow the procedures
- Secure the affected area. Be sure to close all doors and windows.
- Do not allow anyone to leave the area. Affected individuals must be properly checked
for radiation contamination and cleared before leaving.
- Do not allow unauthorized entry to the affected area. Entry will be limited to qualified
- Do not attempt to clean up the spill.
- Should your hands become contaminated, do not touch anything. If your clothing is
contaminated do not touch clothing. Decontamination will be performed by the appropriate